When you communicate in the workplace, are you nasty or nice? How do others perceive you? It seems these days that the news is filled with stories of people being nasty. They rant, They rave. They talk over others. They shout. They are desperate to be heard and understood, often at the expense of everyone else. Sometimes in the workplace, you may feel like shouting too. Maybe you’re wondering how your actions appear to others. Can you answer the question, “are you nasty or nice”? Take this little quiz and we’ll talk:
NASTY OR NICE QUIZ:
- Do you bark out commands even when there is no urgent requirement for your direction?
- Do you roll your eyes when others talk?
- Do you tap your pen or foot non-stop during meetings or presentations?
- Do you walk away from a colleague before he or she is finished speaking?
- Do you frown a lot?
- Do you sit back in your chair, with arms and legs crossed?
- Do you constantly check your mobile when being face-to-face with someone else?
- Do you not respond?
- Do you talk more than listen?
- Do you brag?
- Do you squash other people’s ideas before really exploring them?
- Do you find yourself feeling negative or insulting others?
- Do people quickly get out of your way when they see you walking down the hall?
- Do you cut people off or hang up when you’re done talking (even if they’re not)?
Here’s some more questions to help you decide …
- Do you reach out to include others in projects, meetings, or social activities?
- Do you verbally welcome new employees and introduce yourself?
- Do you demonstrate an ability to understand another person’s perspective?
- Do you make an effort to ask others their opinion?
- Do you consider differing opinions as an opportunity to teach you something?
- Do you ever implement suggestions received?
- Do you thank people?
- Do you check your voice volume to make sure it’s not too loud?
- Do you stay at eye level with people you’re speaking to?
- Do you laugh at other people’s jokes?
- Do you give colleagues your undivided attention when they’re speaking to you?
- Do you refrain from checking your mobile when a colleague is discussing an issue with you?
- Do you take the initiative to welcome new employees and team members?
- Do you make an effort to remember people’s names?
- Do you live in a usual state of gratitude?
- Do you verbalize a compliment when you think about it?
Nice builds relationships, and relationships build your business and career.
Until next time, here’s to …
Better communication, Better business, Better life,
Marion Grobb Finkelstein
Keynote Speaker / Corporate Trainer / Author
©2017 Marion Grobb Finkelstein
WANT TO USE THIS ARTICLE IN YOUR EZINE OR WEB SITE? You can, as long as you include this complete tagline with it:
Communication specialist, author, professional speaker Marion Grobb Finkelstein teaches individuals and organizations across Canada and beyond, how to improve morale, confidence and productivity by changing how they communicate. Chat with her at www.facebook.com/MarionSpeaks and sign up for her FREE weekly “Marion’s Communication Tips” at www.MarionSpeaks.com
LET’S GET THE CONVO STARTED! Post your comments and reactions below. There are no right or wrong responses, just honest, respectful ones. I’d love to hear your opinion. What about this article resonated with YOU?